PLEASE NOTE: To protect your safety in response to the threats of COVID-19, we are offering our clients the ability to meet us via telephone or through video conferencing. Please call our office to discuss your options.

3 ways to help your child through your divorce

On Behalf of | Aug 15, 2022 | Family Law |

A child whose parents are going through a divorce will often feel like their world is being turned upside down. It’s up to the parents to find ways to help the child through this time. There are some steps you can take if you’re in this position to help with the adjustment. 

Typically, it’s best if the parents can work together as a parenting team for the child. When a child sees their parents cooperating even during difficult times, they may feel less stress. 

1. Remain consistent

Consistency helps children to thrive. Once you set a schedule and rules for your home, stick to those. If you’re co-parenting or have a decent relationship with your ex, consider asking them if some of the main points of the schedule, such as bedtime and studying time, can remain the same in both homes.

2. Encourage relationships

Children need to have meaningful relationships with both parents. They shouldn’t ever feel that one parent will get upset that they had a good time with the other one. Always encourage relationships with the family members who support your children, regardless of which side of the family they’re on.

3. Handle the finances 

Transitioning from a two-income home to a one-income home can be difficult. Make sure you’re handling the finances in a way that won’t have a direct impact on the children. They can learn proper money management from you.

4. Communicate effectively

You need to communicate with your child, as well as with your co-parent. Being able to have calm discussions can help everyone as they adjust to the new dynamics. 

Making sure that your children have what they need during your divorce is critical. By establishing a parenting plan early in the process, you can increase the stability they have. 

FindLaw Network