PLEASE NOTE: To protect your safety in response to the threats of COVID-19, we are offering our clients the ability to meet us via telephone or through video conferencing. Please call our office to discuss your options.

Do grandparents have rights in an Iowa child custody case?

On Behalf of | Mar 23, 2022 | Family Law |

As a grandparent, you love your grandchildren. You want to ensure they are happy and healthy while being able to spend time with them. 

Unfortunately, when parents divorce, one parent dies or some other event occurs, grandparents may be cut out of a child’s life. While there are many reasons this may happen, grandparents do have rights. One right is the ability to request visitation with their grandchild in court. 

While this is true, it’s not always the right option. Keep reading to learn more. 

Securing legal visitation with grandchildren

To convince a court that grandparents deserve court-ordered visitation with their grandchildren, they are tasked with the “burden of proof.” The court has outlined that certain things must be established to prove that visitation should be granted. 

Unfortunately, unless a grandparent has solid evidence that visitation is in the child’s best interest, if there was abuse or one of the other outlined factors, their request may be denied. 

Is pursuing grandparent visitation worth it?

It’s important to consider this question seriously. Sometimes, filing for grandparent visitation is a lengthy process. Not only will it impact the grandparents, but their grandchildren. In some cases, this isn’t in their best interest. 

Grandparents can also take steps to maintain a relationship with their grandchild by sending emails, writing letters, and making phone calls. While it may not be the same as in-person visits, it may be a better option for everyone involved. 

Understanding your rights for grandparent visitation

Just because grandparents have the right to pursue court-ordered visitation with their grandchildren in Iowa doesn’t mean it’s always the best course of action. It’s a good idea to think about this carefully and speak to someone who can provide advice about your situation. 

FindLaw Network