Carr Law Firm P.L.C.

Call Us Today For A Free Consultation: 515-259-1389

Your Guides Through The Legal Process

What are common requests for child custody modification?

When you divorce and a child custody agreement is put in place, the terms may seem reasonable enough. In fact, once everyone settles into a routine, the agreement may appear to be largely workable. However, changes happen in life that could affect your child custody arrangements. Will the court approve your request for modification?

You believe your child is in danger

If your child has become reluctant to visit the home of the other parent, you need to ask some hard questions. Is he being abused at the other home? Have there been episodes of domestic violence? Your son may be reluctant to talk about his private feelings, but if you have strong suspicions that all is not well in the other home, you may need to consider a modification to the child custody agreement.

There are visitation issues

Another reason for petitioning the court for modification is that your spouse is not living up to the terms of the child custody agreement. He is often late in picking your son up and sometimes ignores the visitation schedule completely.  Before approving a change, the court will review the original agreement and determine why the terms are no longer being followed.

You wish to relocate

You may be taking a new job with a better salary, but it means relocating. On the other hand, you may wish to move so as to be closer to family members. The judge will want to know the motivation behind your request. If it's that you wish to take your child, you must show that such a move will be advantageous for him. The court will also want to know what your plans are for a revised visitation schedule.

Addressing concerns

The main concern of the court is always the best interests of the child. For example, a judge will probably not agree to a relocation request if it means uprooting your son from family and friends to live in a place that does not afford him similar housing, education and leisure opportunities. You must be prepared to defend your request for child custody modification. If it is reasonable and will not adversely affect your child, you will probably gain the court’s approval.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
  1. “Bryan always put me and my situation first. He continued to show me all options available throughout the process. He always took the time to explain my options to me and gained my understanding. He was professional at all times and truly cares about his clients. I would recommend him to anyone needing representation. Thank you, Bryan!”

    – Jennifer H.

  2. “I would highly recommend Mr. Carr as he is professional, thorough, patient, and a man to be trusted. I was treated with respect by everyone in the office and was given monthly detailed invoices accounting for all times.”

    – Kathy M.

  3. “5 stars, easy to communicate with, office was easy to deal with and great service.”

    – Kaedon V.

  4. “Mr. Carr was very easy to talk to and was very understanding of my situation, I will highly recommend him to anyone who may need his services in the future.”

    – Jason H.

Email Us For a Response

Schedule Your Consultation

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

For legal guidance through family law, criminal defense, personal injury or other issues,

call 515-259-1389 for a free consultation today.

Carr Law Firm P.L.C.
300 Walnut Street
Suite 140
Des Moines, IA 50309

Phone: 515-259-1389
Fax: 515-875-4869
Des Moines Law Office Map